Active Member Information
Here are the Many Pathways to Active Membership
Individuals who have graduated from a full clinical psychoanalytic training program at an APsaA approved training institute or new training facility (this now includes the William Alanson White Institute of Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis and Psychology)
APsaA candidate members can automatically become active members during one of APsaA's two annual meetings, the National Meeting in January or the Annual Meeting in June, whichever follows the notification of their graduation
- Graduates of non APsaA approved institutes
- Full members of the International Psychoanalytical Association (IPA) or graduates of an institute of an IPA component society
- Individual psychoanalysts who have trained outside of an APsaA or IPA approved institute are also eligible through an expanded membership pathway
Contact membership services for additional information or application guidelines.
Benefits of Active Membership
One of the most important reasons for belonging to the American Psychoanalytic Association is that you become part of the voice that advocates for psychoanalysis across the country.
APsaA membership helps you to:
- Advocate for the highest standards of psychoanalytic treatment, education, and scientific inquiry.
- Support a scientific/humanistic treatment approach that promotes individual freedom and growth.
- Foster public understanding and study of the human condition.
- Magnify your voice on health care reform.
- Lobby and educate Congress about the profession.
Enhance Your Professional Education
- Receive a significant discount off APsaA meeting registration fees.
- Participate in national scientific meetings, study groups, on-line discussions, public dialogues and scientific publications.
- Earn continuing education credits toward maintaining professional licensure.
- Receive preferred subscription rates to the Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association and the International Journal of Psychoanalysis
- Get a free subscription to APsaA's quarterly magazine, The American Psychoanalyst.
- Gain access to APsaA's practice bulletins, which provide in-depth technical information on standards and policies of writing reports for external review and documentation.
Network with Colleagues
- Meet with peers at APsaA's social, scientific, and political networking events.
- Become meaningfully involved in Association leadership and gain a diversity of experience and perspectives.
- Gain referrals via the biannual meetings and members-only email lists and discussion forums.
- Be listed in Find an Analyst and link your listing directly to your personal webpage
- Subscribe to APsaA's discussion forums for timely news and announcements, as well as online discussions.
- Access useful information stored in the APsaA website members section.
Share in Group Benefits
- Be eligible for low-cost insurance products.
- Receive a 10% discount from The Analytic Couch Company and from TherapySites, which offers comprehensive website services designed for mental health practitioners.
And so much more...