Candidate Member Information
Psychoanalysts in training can join the APsaA to identify with, support and advance psychoanalysis. APsaA provides members with direct benefits to meet the needs of psychoanalytic candidates.
Eligibility of Candidate Membership
Candidates accepted for full clinical psychoanalytic training in an APsaA approved institute or new training facility are eligible for candidate membership. Candidates seeking to join will receive an application once notification of enrollment is received from the institute. Candidates in non-clinical (academic) training in an APsaA approved institute are eligible to join the academic associate candidate category of membership.
Candidates in clinical psychoanalytic training at an International Psychoanalytical Association (IPA) component society are now eligible for Candidate Membership. Click here to download an application.
Benefits of Candidate Membership
One of the most important reasons for belonging to the American Psychoanalytic Association is that you become part of the voice that advocates for psychoanalysis across the country.
APsaA membership helps you to:
- Advocate for the highest standards of psychoanalytic treatment, education, and scientific inquiry.
- Support a scientific/humanistic treatment approach that promotes individual freedom and growth.
- Foster public understanding and study of the human condition.
- Magnify your voice on health care reform.
- Lobby and educate Congress about the profession.
Enhance Your Professional Education
- Receive a significant discount on APsaA meeting registration fees.
- Participate in national scientific meetings, study groups, on-line discussions, public dialogues and scientific publications.
- Earn continuing education credits toward maintaining professional licensure.
- Receive preferred subscription rates to the Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association and the International Journal of Psychoanalysis
- Get a free subscription to APsaA's quarterly magazine, The American Psychoanalyst.
- Gain access to APsaA's practice bulletins, which provide in-depth technical information on standards and policies of writing reports for external review and documentation.
Network with Colleagues
- Meet with peers at APsaA's social, scientific, and political networking events.
- Become meaningfully involved in Association leadership and gain a diversity of experience and perspectives.
- Gain referrals via the biannual meetings and members-only email lists and discussion forums.
- Be listed in Find an Analyst and link your listing directly to your personal webpage.
- Subscribe to APsaA's active lists, including timely news and announcements as well as online discussions.
- Access useful information stored in the APsaA website members section.
Share in Group Benefits
- Be eligible for low-cost insurance products.
- Receive a 10% discount from The Analytic Couch Company and from TherapySites, which offers comprehensive website services designed for mental health practitioners.